Worldlink, supposedly the number one internet service provider from Nepal, has provided me with internet service, so much so as to last a lifetime of bitterness to the mental aptitude towards them. Anyone can promote themselves both analogically via the media and the digitally via the internet (We live in a world where freedom of speech on the truth matters). We are living in a world where propaganda to self promotion is the norm. No less said when it comes to this internet service provided from Nepal. Not to say that others ISPs do not lack far behind in their approach towards the consumer.
Noone should make allegations without first, experiencing it first hand. I, time and time again, have so many encounters with them, that if they were the only one left in the country to provide the service I would rather be without an internet connection rather than ask them to supply me with one.
The Last Bitter Experience with WorldLink
Just like Worldlink that changes its offices around the Kathmandu Valley time and time again due to the unfairness and demands of the landlords, I face the same phenomenon of this unregulated and uncontrolled business of tenancy.
Just this month I had shifted my residence from one part of the valley to another to get out of the clutches of the landlord of absurd and mad behaviour even after paying my monthly dues before time. I was in need of my personal internet even though the present landlord has their own and is willing to share it with me – ironically, it is provided by Worldlink and its fiber optic port is just opposite the road on the electric post. Having said that, there is nothing better than having your own connection as you in control of your own destination.
On the 13th of this month, I went to their office in Baluwatar at about 10:30 am to get one. The first place you look for is HELP. I did see a room marked with help, so I entered it to be encountered with a pack of guys with the riff raff look on them. Later I came to understand that they were the technical personals with nothing to do. They join the connections when given the directions. One of them thinking what I was looking for as if an alien from planet Mars, in his piquet English trying to show the others that he can speak the language asked me something in it to the laughter of his pals.
Some how, I looked into the office market for payment and saw a desk with a young female behind it marked Sales. Take that as the best bet, I entered and told her I was looking for a new internet connection and this is how the saga unfolds from there on till the 16th Friday and finally no internet connection joined as chronicled below:
- 13th June 2017 10:30 am: I told her my requirements, which was a 5mb fiber optic connection and that I needed it that day. She phoned her superiors via the intercom connections which most offices have to show their sophistication. After she hung up, she told me that it would be done either that evening or the following morning in the first hours. I filled in the form and asked here if payment was to be made then. She told me that after the connection was made I should do the needful. I thank her and left with the anticipation that I would have the connection that evening.
- 13th June 2017 around 5:45: I got a phone call on the mobile number provided to Worldlink filled in the form. The person behind the line even though seeing my name, began speaking to me in Nepali. Being in the country for nearly a quarter of a century, I can converse to some extend in the vernacular that can be best called market talk. So I handed the phone to my wife whom had just arrived from work. She told me they wanted a user name and I told them why not make it william and added a “p” to the end. That being done, they told her that they would make the connection at the earliest the following day. I was sent two mails to the email account provided with the details of my new email service just created sans the physical connection and the other mail to confirm that was my email address so that they could send me periodical promotions and other things such as bill payments. I love living in a greener world, so where the less use of paper was a good thing for me. Later I was sent message via SMSs of the Password and confirmation of my account for the internet connection. Happy that I would get my internet connection the following morning.
- 14th June 2017: No phone calls, no messages, no one contacted me. My Whole Bloody Day went to waste. I believe that when a company that propagates that it is number one internet service provider in the country should know better. If I was employed then I would have to take leave. One day of my earnings gone down the drain.
- 15th June 2017: Thinking that they would come and make the connection that day after being told by my wife before she left for work that morning. This is Nepal, things get delayed, be patient. Patience has it bounds and so, using my landlords internet connection, I opened the account page provided to me and found where I could get in touch with them. They have a number of problems with radio buttons marked out. I could find none with the problem I am facing from them. I clicked the closest and in the portion for more infomation told them the problem and gave them a piece of my mind. Immediately to show how sophisticated their service is I was sent an “SMS” to the mobile number provided with the quot “Dear Customer ‘M: williamp’, your ticket of Ticket ID #2011067 has been updated with remarks – Ticket on hold. Currently troubleshooting the issue.” Time stamp on mobile 12:11 pm. It was at 4:39 pm that I finally got a call from 01-4217100 (a number owned by WorldLink Nepal) with a female behind it. I told here my problem and now much annoyed – Anyone would having had the third day go up the drain. She tried her best to convince me that it would be done that evening. Mind you, it was nearly five in the evening. Before hanging up she told me that she would talk to someone up the line with the problem and get back to me in five to ten minutes which she never did and with the promise again that it would be done before eight in the morning as I told her that was to leave for work at eight after having missed three days of it. She never got back to me. But I received a number of SMSs with the issue as if being ping ponged around the playing table. First one after the conversation with what I assume with a female from the call center, “Dear Customer, you ticket (ID2011067) been reassigned to Ashish Raj Aryal. You will be contacted soon. Wlink Supported.” at 5:15 pm. I was not contacted anyway soon but got the next SMS shortly 5:20pm with the message, “Dear Customer, your ticket (ID2011067) has been resigned to Ashish Gajurel. You will be contacted soon. Wlink Support.” Never to be contacted that day again.
- 16th June 2017: My wife keeps my spirit up. Before leaving for work at 7 am she tells me wait till 8 am they might arrive. Taking solace in her words. I waited in vain. At work, I checked my account that Worldlink made for me. Mysteriously no trace of the problem was there instead just to show something. There was a message that the system was being repaired. This was a game being played slowly as those who were all involved in derelict of duty had to get out of it some how or the other. Remove all traces of it. Proof to that and to repair the way they functions when they are caught plays out more. It is better on a new paragraph. Fortunately you can try to remove much of your crime but for a crime to occur there are two sides to the coin which exist with the other.
- 16th June 2017 after 11:10 onwards: Having wasted three days being absent from work all for the purpose of joining Worldlinks 5mbs fiber optic connection from the port just opposite my humble rented flat, I finally reach work after 9 am in the opposite side of town. Around just after 11 am, I get a phone call while busy at work while I am trying to get something done with the end voice in a gruff tone as if some talking more of a threatening manner in Nepali. This is how I have managed to translate it into my mother tongue English, “Have a problem with your internet connection.” Surprised, whether to leave my work at hand or to answer such an annoying – order, question or suggestion, god knows, I was confuted. I was no longer interested in an internet connect or anything thing else after being humiliated for asking or two days and landing up with taking three. Such compassion is not even given to a foreigner of the English race and should not be, for no one is extra special when it comes to working in a proper organised corporation. The owner of WorldLink Nepal – Dileep Agrawal should know that better after having been over 16 years in countries such as Germany and the United States. I just hung up the phone not interested in such, repeatedly getting calls from Wlink’s number with the same guys asking in different ways if I have a internet problem. How could I have a internet problem when I do not have the connection. My best bet each department was caught in this vice they had created on their own accord with as I can assume now and from a number of previous experiences that no proper management and now that money if flowing in – the owner cares two hoots. I will now continue this day’s saga on a new paragraph.
- 4 pm onwards: I got a phone call again nearly reaching the middle of the hour with the end voice asking me the same old question if I had a problem with my internet connection. Now being more relaxed from cutting down the workload of three of absence, I was more comfortable answering him in the Nepali vernicular I had my disposal. I told him that I had no problem with my internet connection as they had not installed any and the three day trial period had expired. He now wanting to get off the hook as I then realize that he was from the technical department, said it was because I had not paid my dues. Funny, when I was willing to pay it first when I when to their office. I was told that I should pay it to the people who make the connection when they come. I finally was annoyed by now for the ordeal they had put me through and the games they play to get out from their dereliction of duty. I told him that I no longer need his connection, I am comfortable using the landlords internet connect though it would slower when more people use it.
That evening when I when to log into the account on the fourth day of the ordeal with Worldlink, no account existed for “williamp”, they finally got redemption from showing that they jobs are safe. This is all that I have to say this 5th day now being a Saturday and where I could sit and relax, that a man dies but his spirit arises. This is not the first encounter that I have had with internet service provider but the third. The other two I might write about it some other time. Sadly corporates like this get away with much because of the lackadaisical of the consumer laws in Nepal. Where if your try to fight for your right legally, then you end up paying hundred times more than you have unjustly been made to suffer for. That is why I have to bare the brunt of forfeiting three days salary and another three days as per the company rules, that I work for which comes to more than I would have paid for the internet connection. You will find more of their attitude at Anil Maharjung’s Blog
Continuation to WorldLink’s Bullshit (18th June 2017)
Today being the 18th of the Month, happily contented with using my Landlord’s internet net connect, I needed to make and update to the madness of Worldlink.
My account expired as no connect made and yet they are trying to get to me to make a connection and redeem themselves after six days now when it should have been done the very day or the next as they had promised.
I get four miss calls as I was not in the state to receive them while eating lunch, from WorldLink at their usual number at a little above 11 am. At this moment, as a principle, I never reply to miss calls unless, I think there is need for it and it is of importance. I found that it was not of importance as by now I was totally cheesed off with them. They had all together cut off the account. So I don’t know what game they were up to now. (I had sent them a link to this blog post). They did not want to post it on their FaceBook account. That is obvious, people like good critics about them. The truth is bad publicity.
After that I get a number of SMSs that the problem was resigned to this person and that and with a number of mail to the id provided – too late WorldLink, I think you have not read the above portion as yet.
Think finally, I got a call from the 9801229818 and I supposedly a personal from WorldLink tried to convience in English that sounded from the Tarie community people. After explaining myself to him and telling him the facts mentioned above and that I was no longer interested in their connection, thanked him for his effort. How sad, you have wasted four days of my time and now you are trying to make it six days after the Saturday hiatus.
Here, I can firmly say that feature have been tickled somewhere along the line when the truth comes out and exposed to them. Here I provided a link of this post. In the long run they know it will get optimised and will be found on the search engines.
How shameless of them, even after dishing out such treatment and behaviour and causing me such loss them still think that I would be interested in their connection. You can check out Baba Panday’s Blog for further behaviour and what was done to a number of people. Trying to cover up their dereliction of duty and covering up their losses is all that they know at WorldLink, the supposedly number one ISP provider from Nepal.
I will finally end with the quote, “Gilded Tombs Have Worms enfold” from “Merchant of Venice” by “William Shakespeare”.
19th June 2017 – People from WorldLink Nepal – Don’t keep on calling me once the damage is done by your own accord. Investigate into your company as to how this happens and take proper actions. I have no more time to explain myself over and over again to those who phone from 01-4217100